Initially, I had no interest in becoming a teacher. I didn't really know what I wanted to do, so I started exploring various degrees (needless to say, I spent a lot of extra money and time in school). But, my exploring lead me to the realization that I love to learn about and engage in new cultures. I found I really enjoy studying the Spanish language and would like to pursue a career that would enable me to work abroad and interact with Spanish speaking people.
In voicing this desire, someone offered the idea of teaching English abroad. This really sparked my interest. I looked more into the idea, and made a decision to pursue a degree in TESL, so as to be able to travel, learn myself, as well as impart my knowledge of the English language to those with a foreign language.
After deciding to pursue a career in teaching English as a Foreign language, I next needed to decide what age group I would like to teach. I eventually chose Secondary Education, because I feel a connection with the high school age group and believe I would be successful in intereacting with them in the classroom. I also chose this age group, because I also hope to someday coach high school basketball. So I thought, being a teacher in the same school setting is beneficial.
From this class, I hope to learn new things about technology. At this point, I know enough to do what I need to get done for my studies. But, I realize there is a lot I don't know which will be helpful to learn for my future as a teacher to a generation of technological savy students.
I like that you are interested in ESL, because I am too. It is cool that you have it pin pointed and know exactly where you want to go to teach(in a sense). Being fluent in Spanish will be so helpful too. I love how interested you are in the culture. We will have ESL/ELL classes together which is nice.
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your story. Your passion for teaching and for Spanish will provide many opportunities for you to impact the lives of others -- here in America or in another country. It will be exciting to see where God places you.
ReplyDelete