Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Role of Technology in the Classroom

So, to be honest this idea of the "classical" way of teaching being outdated is very knew to me. The articles that we have been required to read prior to this reflection, have opened my eyes to the divide between the way in which the educators learned and the way in which today's generation of students has and will continue to learn. I agree that the internet and technological devices are great ways to become familiar with our ever-growing world. With that being said, I am realizing how important it is for the students to be savy with the technology and able to understand how it all works.
However, I feel like the articles we've analyzed are very liberal in their approach to changing the ways of education. By reading them, I get the sense that the authors do not see the importance in learning the basics before skipping ahead to the more complex ideas (with the perception that the students have already learned the basics prior to coming to school). I don't think this is the case for everyone, actually, I don't think this is the case for a lot of students.

I am leaning towards the opinion that incorporating computers, computer-based assignments, and other technological devices into the classroom is a good thing. But I also think that the teachers should continue to educate the students in the areas of mathematics, sciences, etc... with a hands on approach as well (such as in a science lab, or something similar).

1 comment:

  1. I agree that not every thing can be replaced by technology. We deffinanlty need to bring teaching up with the times, but there is nothing like being able to disect a frog with your own hands or some other hands on activity. Sometimes "old-school" can be good.

    ReplyDelete