Tuesday, October 5, 2010

“C’ est Moi!”

A mullet.

I’m a blend of contained and uncontained- professional in the front and a slight hint of crazy in the back.

The front. Well, let’s be honest. We all have a reputation to uphold. Hence, I feel the need to keep up the demanding trim schedule (every six weeks- nonnegotiable). I keep my thin, fine hair contained, professional, and put together with God only knows how many pumps of hair spray. It sits where I want it to sit, knowing full well that if not, it’ll be met with my saliva licked fingers, aggressively slapping and rubbing the fly-aways down, until it conforms to my wishes. Be certain that the front of my hair is on track! It has a goal in sight (what it supposed to look like), a plan of how to get there (diligently washing, manicuring, and repetitiously combing), and an immunity to distractions (urges to try out the latest “must-have styles”).

The back. The back is me! It’s my funny, my sporadic, my goofy, and my ever-changing being. It’s free and forgiving, happy and sad, angry and aggressive all mixed together and completely out of my control. Hidden behind the front (the traditional), is the retro, the free spirit, the true me. Living on my own time schedule, by own rules, and with the wind. The back bounces around like it’s nobody’s business. The back is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment