The Article, “Effect of Technology on Motivation in EFL Classrooms” written by Assist. Prof. Dr. Binnur Gencilter stresses that learning a new language is very stressful and difficult. This study researched the relationship between technology being incorporated into the classroom and the children’s opinions of the use of technology in the classroom. The results showed that there was a divide between male and female views on the use of technology. The female students were more excited about the idea of technology in the classroom. They liked the computer-based classes and felt that they made lessons more enjoyable. Further, the female students thought that technology such as films, videos, CDs and e-learning could develop their language skills. On the other hand, while the male students did not express as much excitement regarding the use of technology, they were of the same opinion as the girls that materials used via the internet were “effective, enjoyable, interesting and useful for them.”
According to Gencilter, “Students’ responses have showed that there is a great relation between language-learning motivational factors and using technology.” EFL students prefer that technology be used in the classroom, because using technology increased their motivation. The students felt that the computer connected projector is one of the most useful technological pieces of equipment in the classroom. Jarvis (2005) suggests that the task-based approach, by means of different technological devices in the classrooms, is how the younger generation prefers to be taught. However, this study also revealed that students may find it boring if the teacher uses technology too much.
What I have learned from this article is that EFL students enjoy the use of technology and it may very well be the motivating factor that keeps them excited about coming to class and learning a new language.
The study revealed that EFL students enjoy doing tasks which require different technological devices to complete. While the results all seem very much in favor of technology in the classroom, I think that it is important to pay attention to the stated fact that the students may get bored if technology is over used. In conclusion, this article gave me some pointers about the strengths and weaknesses involved with using technology in the classroom.
These strengths and weaknesses are what I should keep in mind when using technology in my classroom (once I am an EFL teacher). I will use it as a motivational key for learning in a fun way. However, I will be sure to use it in moderation, so as to not bore my students.
The article can be found at:
http://firma.northwestu.edu/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ehh&AN=45035185&site=ehost-live
The standard that I felt was important for the students in my ESL classroom is Communication and Collaboration. As an ESL teacher, it is important for me to get my students communicating in English. Communication and interaction from the students in English is the target goal of an ESL teacher. Therefore, I thought this standard was very appropriate to focus on. The Communication and Collaboration Standard holds that students use digital media and environments to communicate and work collaboratively, including at a distance, to support individual learning and contribute to the learning of others. An assignment that I could do with my students to help them meet this standard is to help them create a blog on the internet. I could give them class time to use the blog as a journal and write responses to impromptus I had (in English). This project would give them practice in writing in English as well as get them working with technology. The second thing I could do is have them read their fellow classmates blogs and respond in English. They could do this at school or at home (if they had computers).
Look at the NETS for Teachers. Choose one to focus on this semester. Why is this standard important to you as a teacher and for the students in your class? List and talk about 3 ways you will work on this standard this semester. You will be asked to follow up on this at the end of the semester.
The standard that I chose to focus on this semester (from the Nets for Teachers) is Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. This standard holds that teachers use their knowledge of subject matter, teaching and learning, and technology to facilitate experiences that advance student learning, creativity, and innovation in both face-to-face and virtual environments. This standard is important to me as a teacher because I want to be a teacher who is fun and keeps learning fun. I want to inspire my kids to use their imaginations and be creative with their learning. I feel like this is something that I should focus on because, as much as it is ideal, being creative and inspirational takes work and is something that a teacher needs to put time into. Three ways that I will work on this standard this semester are by being creative with developing my blog, exploring the different current events in the world (via the internet) and blogging about them, and finally by responding to the posts of my peers.
No comments:
Post a Comment